Hey there, friends, and happy April!
It’s been a crazy couple of months, but let me take a moment and try to catch you all up on what’s been going on around here!
So let’s get to it!
1. Life is insane. Can I just leave it there? Life is nuts right now. I’m jumping jobs, we’re prepping our house for sale, we have contractors marching in and out on the daily because God knows we don’t have time to get anything done, we’re purging all the random junk that has accumulated over the course of five years living in the same place, and trying not to go insane in the process.
And somehow, some way, I’m still managing to cook a few things. Just a few. Celebrating little victories here, y’all.
2. Meal prep saves lives. I bought a bunch of little Rubbermaid meal prep containers at my grocery store and I’ve been using the heck out of them. They work great with a lot of my recipes, like my baked Chicken Parmesan recipe. I baked up the whole package of chicken, all the breasts sliced in half for better portion control, and served some of them with sauce over noodles for Chicken Parmesan, and others with teriyaki sauce over rice for a good teriyaki chicken and vegetable bowl meal.
Any of these, when thrown into the microwave, are more than enough for both my husband and 2YO son to enjoy together on the days when I’m not able to break away from meetings or work long enough to join them for lunch. I try to do family meals together every day, but sometimes work happens and these are great contingencies.
3. Varidesk is the best.My husband bought me a Varidesk standing desk for an early Valentine’s Day gift and it is the best thing ever. I love being able to stand up and work, particularly first thing in the morning and right after lunch, when my energy tends to ebb the lowest. I also like standing during the meetings where I actually need to be presenting. I don’t know if it’s the camera angle or just being able to be up and energized and animated, but I feel like I do a much better job all around.
4. Spring is here! After a busy and cold winter, we were more than ready to see the world thaw out and all our blooms come to life. Our garden is exploding with color and life, between bulbs and hydrangeas starting to come up and pear and cherry blossoms all over the place. I love this time of year!
5. My kid is a giant. He’s wearing 5Ts, he’s just short of 40 inches tall, and he’s not even three yet. He knows his numbers and can read and count to 20, he knows all his letters (and has memorized enough of his Star Wars ABCs that he can recite “A is for Anakin, B is for Boba Fett” and he couldn’t make his papa more proud), he can spell his name and a few words (“cat” and “robot” are current favorites) and sings a bunch of songs on his own. I couldn’t be prouder of this ridiculous kid.
6. Vaccinated! Even though I’m not at work in person a lot, when I am, I talk to important people, so I got front-loaded into the vaccine line-up and got my vaccine. Just have to work on getting the rest of the family done. My sister has gotten hers, my in-laws got theirs, my mom and my other sister are in line to get theirs started, and we’re marching right along toward immunization.
A lot of people are worried about side effects, but after 20 years in the military and having been inoculated against everything in existence, I can tell you I had zilch for side effects except a sore arm, and that was nothing compared to the Anthrax vaccine.
7. Overwork culture is real. I don’t know how many conversations I’ve had with my career coach about setting boundaries between home and work, but it’s really hard to do in work from home (which we jokingly call “living at work”). It has to be deliberate. There’s such a culture in the workplace that glamorizes working ridiculous hours over working efficiently and taking care of yourself. Definitely going to be a priority for me after I get a couple big projects cleared off my plate this month!
8. What are we cooking tonight? It’s in the 70s all this week, so we’re feeling spring and summery fare around here. Like these Romaine Cobb Salad Boats. There’s a lot to love here in terms of flavor and keeping things lean.
And I’m definitely trying to keep things lean around here and lose the combination of quarantine and winter weight. I have a layer to get rid of, that’s for sure!
9. Are we getting back into a rhythm around here? I’m going to do my best, but there are a lot of things competing for my time these days. I have a lot of good recipes in the chute and have been working through testing them – but I’m dodging contractors and late-breaking meetings to find time to photograph them! Bear with me. Things are going to be a little crazy around here for a bit, but we’re not gone!
What’s going on in your neck of the woods currently?