Looking to start your morning off with a tasty combination of sweet seasonal blueberries, fluffy cake-like muffin, and crispy cinnamon-flavored sugar topping? Well, who wouldn’t want to start their morning that way? Pair these delicious treats with your favorite coffee to start your day!
I’m picky about my breakfast. I figure I’m allowed to be, since it’s such an important part of jump-starting my day. For roughly 23 years now, I’ve been getting up at 5am, do some kind of work-out, shower, grab coffee, grab a meal, and get to work. Now that I’m a mom and teleworking, there’s a little more play time with my little man and a lot less commuting built in there, but a good breakfast is an important part of that well-established wake-up routine.
And by good I mean something nice and hot and not too heavy. With a cold breakfast or a shake, I want something else within about two hours and my breakfast needs to tide me over until 10am at least, after my first rush of meetings and phone calls. With a heavy breakfast, I want to crawl back into bed and hibernate.
So keeping all those things in mind, I’ve been working on creating a muffin that will support all those requirements. There’s nothing like a nice fresh hot muffin with your morning coffee. But so many muffin recipes come out heavy and cakey and you feel like you’ve just swallowed a bowling ball.
Not this muffin, though. This one is light and fluffy and delicious, with just a little buttery goodness in the taste. And filled with nice fresh blueberries and topped with just a little bit of that crunchy sugary cinnamon flavored goodness you have with a coffee cake, it’s the perfect morning starter!
Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
- August 19, 2020
- 45 min
- Print this
- For the muffins:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- For the topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled
- Step 1
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with paper wrappers or grease the wells.
- Step 2
- Start with the muffin mixture. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Then beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Step 3
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the creamed butter mixture alternately with the milk. Fold in the blueberries
- Step 4
- Fill the muffin tin wells to about 2/3 full.
- Step 5
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until the mixture is pebbly and crumbly. Sprinkle over the muffins.
- Step 6
- Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes or until the muffins are nicely browned. Cool 5 minutes in the tin, and then remove to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Just a little buttery. Just a little sweet. Packed with blueberry flavor. Light and fluffy. And served hot along with your coffee. Absolutely perfect on these cold rainy mornings we’ve been having!
Hope your week is going well! Happy Wednesday!